I rustle this cake up when I want a quick dessert for family, we serve with a drizzle of cream over the top.
- 4 free-range eggs
- 225g/8oz caster sugar, plus a little extra for dusting the finished cake
- 225g/8oz self-raising flour
- 2 tsp baking powderl
- 225g/8oz butter at room temperature, plus a little extra to grease the tins
- Preheat the oven to 180C/160C Fan/Gas 4. Grease and line two 20cm/8in sandwich tins. Use a piece of baking paper to rub a little butter around the inside of the tins until the sides and base are lightly coated, then line the bottom with a circle of baking paper.
- Break the eggs into a mixing bowl, add the sugar, flour, baking powder and butter. Mix together until well combined with an electric hand mixer be careful not to over mix.
- Divide the mixture evenly between the tins.
- Bake the cakes on the middle shelf of the oven for 25 minutes. Check them after 20 minutes. The cakes are done when they’re golden-brown and coming away from the edge of the tins. Press them gently to check – they should be springy to the touch.
- For the Filling spread your jam on one side and either whipped cream or butter cream on the other.
300g icing sugar, sifted
150g unsalted or salted butter, softened
Drop of vanilla essence
Beat sifted icing sugar and butter together with your Vanilla essence, add 1 tablespoon of boiling water to loosen and beat until smooth.