My love for baking is relatively new, I have never had a sweet tooth so desserts wasn’t something I was interested in but then I discovered the creative side, I love decorating my desserts and making them look pretty. I enjoy seeing my friends and family faces light up when they receive my treats! It takes time to find the right recipes, trust me I have made 100’s that just wasn’t good enough and ended in the bin.
Today I am sharing a Mary Berry recipe. This chocolate cupcake is beautiful, light, fluffy and moist. My own take is filling them with Nutella which has been a huge hit! Try them and let me know what you think!
- For the Cupcakes
- 4 tbsp Water (boiling)
- 40g Cocoa powder
- 3 Free range large egg(s)
- 175g Unsalted butter (softened)
- 165g Billington’s Unrefined Golden Caster Sugar
- 115g Self-raising white flour
- 1 tsp Baking powder
- Step 1:Line a muffin tin with paper cases. Sift the cocoa powder into a bowl, pour in the boiling water and mix into a thick paste. Add the remaining cake ingredients and mix with an electric hand whisk (or beat with a wooden spoon).
- Step 2:Divide the mixture equally between the 12 paper cases. Bake in a preheated oven at 200°C (400°F, Gas mark 6) for about 12-15 minutes until well risen and springy to the touch. Cool in the cases on a wire rack.
I use my own Butter Cream Icing
- 250g butter, softened (use Stork hard margarine if dairy-free)
- 185g icing sugar
- 55g cocoa powder
- 110g dark chocolate
Melt your chocolate and allow to cool . Whisk your butter until the colour is pale, sift half the icing sugar in and whisk until combined, then do the same with other half. Whisk in cocoa powder, once ingredients are all mixed fold in your melted (cool) chocolate
Once your cupcakes have cooled down, it’s time to fill your cakes with Nutella. I use a large metal piping nozzle to take the middle section out but you can use a knife. (Be careful not to go through to bottom of your cakes) Warm your Nutella slightly so it’s easier to spoon in and once filled put back the bit you cut out and gently press down.
All that’s left to do now is decorate your cakes with icing, be as creative as you like.